The following information is taken from the Kansas Department of Labor.

Kansas Department of Labor

Kansas New Hire Directory Reporting

Employers are required to report new hires or rehires pursuant to K.S.A. 75-5743. Maintenance of a new hire database is required by the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 (Public Law 104-193). The child support enforcement components require states to maintain a new hire database. The laws require that within 20 days of each new hire, rehire or employee returning to work from an extended layoff, the employer must report:

  • The Social Security number, name, address and hire date of the new hire
  • The employer’s Federal ID number (nine digits) with the employer’s corporate name and address

There are a variety of ways to comply with the statute. We encourage electronic reporting. It is the best method for updating current employment information. Some employers mail or fax a W-4 with items 1, 2, 8 and 10 completed. Some alternative reports designed by the employer are acceptable.

Kansas Minimum Wage

The Kansas minimum wage is $7.25 per hour. All employees not covered by the Federal Fair Labor Standard Act must be paid Kansas minimum wage. 

Contact Federal Wage and Hour at (913) 551-5721 to inquire about whether your company is covered by the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act.

Required Posters

Federal and Kansas State law requires that certain posters be displayed in the workplace. Please visit the Download Posters page for more information.

Download posters page

Workers Compensation

Kansas law provides that those injured in industrial accidents should be compensated regardless of who is at fault. Current workers compensation law covers all employers in Kansas, regardless of the number of employees or the kind of work they do, with two exceptions: employers engaged in agricultural pursuits and any employer who during a given calendar year has an estimated payroll less than $20,000, unless the employer is a subcontractor.

The State of Kansas pays no workers compensation benefits to injured workers unless they are state employees. Private employers pay all benefits owed to their injured workers, either directly from the employer’s own resources or indirectly through another party. While most covered employers obtain insurance from private carriers or group pools, provisions in the law establish criteria for certain employers to become self-insured. Potentially eligible employers must apply for approval to use the self-insurance option from the Director of Workers Compensation. The Kansas Insurance Department approves the formation of group-funded self-insurance pools and determines whether employers qualify for membership in a pool.

For more information, please contact the Division of Workers Compensation at (785) 296-4000.

Workplace Safety

The Industrial Safety and Health Division is charged with helping Kansas businesses prevent workplace illnesses and injuries. This is done through free safety and health consultations that help employers find potential hazards at their worksites. The division provides both educational and safety incentive programs to assist employers develop and continuously improve safety at their facilities.

For more information, please contact the Industrial Safety and Health Division at (785) 296-4386.